Monday, June 1, 2009

How Should I Live My Life?

Every time I hear about someone dying young (i.e. before 70-80 years old) – usually unexpected, though sometimes from a long illness, I ask myself, am I living my life to the fullest? What could I do differently to be happier?

Like most people I suspect, I think I would be more content if I could just chuck my day job and live a life of leisure. However, anyone who knows me would say I wouldn’t be happy sitting around the house for too long (which is why I would get out and volunteer or get a part time job doing something I like). Given the current state of the economy, I’ll keep my day job for now thank you very much.

It’s those few precious hours after work and weekends that we must treasure. The way I balance my schedule now, I try to squeeze in at least an hour, maybe an hour and a half most weekdays to sit down with my husband and watch something on TV (or a dvd). If our cat comes and joins us, all the better. I also enjoy the brief 10-15 minutes when we sit down to dinner. Bonus time is when we’re both in the kitchen during the preparation catching up on each other’s day.

Even though I don’t have kids, there’s usually enough chores to keep me distracted from fully indulging in my hobbies, and this is something I’m trying to work on. I’ve decided that it’s okay if there’s cat fur and dust everywhere, as long as the dishes are done my husband is happy.

I also make an effort to try and keep in touch with people either by phone or e-mail. Even if we can’t always get together in person, I think it’s the quality of the time versus the quantity.

Would I have any regrets if knew I only had a week to live? Of course, but I know I’ve lived a good life filled with much happiness. I’ve already accomplished the important things – graduated from college, married a wonderful man who is the love of my life, live close to my family whom I see on a fairly regular basis, have a job that allows me free time for reading, web surfing, etc., have a nice house, enough money to travel and sometimes spend a little frivolously, adopted a cute kitty cat that rules our house!

No comments: