Thursday, May 21, 2009

Things Learned...

What do you know about that? You learn something new every day….

I think the funniest one is when Jeff Foxworthy says, “You learn a lot from your kids – like just a few days ago I learned you can get three boxes of raisins into the cassette player of a jeep. I didn’t know that! Last month we learned you can get goldfish out of an aquarium using a dustbuster…”

Here’s what I’ve learned over the last week or so…

• John R. Buchtel was the founder of Buchtel College (now the University of Akron). I had always heard the word 'Buchtel' kicked around while living in Northeast Ohio. Until now I had no idea what it referred to.

• what a banjolele is: According to Wikipedia:
The banjolele (brand name; sometimes banjo ukulele or banjo uke) is a four-stringed musical instrument with a small banjo-type body and a fretted ukulele neck. "Banjolele," sometimes also spelled "banjelele" or "banjulele" is a generic nickname given to the instrument, which was derived from the 'banjulele-banjo,' introduced by Alvin D. Keech in 1917.

• not to cover a pie too soon or it will get soggy (unfortunately we learned the hard way, but the pie was still quite tasty!

• that Jamie Lee Curtis is married to Christopher Guest (saw her in the audience of a recent concert featuring her husband).

• Ducks can have as many as 23 babies (5-8 is normal). The reason I know this is my co-worker recently showed me a newspaper clipping with a picture of the proud parents and their rather large gaggle. I assume all 23 were theirs as they were in an enclosed area safe from predators (other than nosy teenagers and adults). Incidentally, the ducks were in a courtyard at a school in rural Plain City, Ohio and the students aren’t allowed to use the courtyard as long as the ducks are residing there.

No comments: