Monday, February 28, 2011

A Tribute to Sofia Coppola

In Honor of the Oscars I thought I’d discuss one of my favorite directors – that being the young (actually only a year younger than me) Sofia Coppola. Being the daughter of the famous Francis Ford certainly didn’t hurt her chances in Hollywood, as she got her start in front of the camera before making her directorial debut in 1999 with “The Virgin Suicides.”

Having now seen all four of her films, “The Virgin Suicides,” “Lost in Translation,” “Marie Antoinette,” and “Somewhere,” a few things about Coppola’s style can be concluded. Her films are dark, or at least have a tragic edge to them; she likes to cast rising actresses like Kirsten Dunst (2 out of the 4 films), Scarlett Johansen, and Elle Fanning; she picks fabulous soundtracks and certainly has an eye for detail.

Being a fan of all things Japanese, I’d have to say “Lost in Translation” is probably my favorite of the four, but “Marie Antoinette” had the best ‘eye candy’ where costumes and scenery are concerned.

“The Virgin Suicides” and “Somewhere” are both equally tragic, but in different ways. Both will leave you feeling somewhat bereft, but also fulfilled with excellent stories that everyone can relate to in some way.

With an average of three to four years between pictures, I look forward to her next effort, as they’re always worth the wait.

No comments: