Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Take Back your Childhood Day

Last night I was at a minor league baseball game and I couldn’t help but notice how much fun everyone else was having – especially the kids (most of whom weren’t even watching the game). It made me long for my (mostly) carefree childhood. That’s when I came up with this idea: ‘Take Back your Childhoood Day.’ It will be held mid week in mid July. Since we still need some people to work and serve those of us with a day off, it will actually be held over two days. One for everyone whose names start with A – M, and then another for all those who start with N – Z.

The idea is to just be a kid again. You get to sleep as late as you want, eat whatever you want, and just spend the day doing whatever you want. I would be loathe to suggest to people they act like kids if what they really want to do with their day off is spend it gardening or reorganizing their book collection, but each to their own!

As far as what to do about taking care of the children on this day – we’ll designate the grandparents (or hire some seniors to fill in) as caregivers for the day. They don’t need a special day to act like kids when most of them are retired anyway and can do whatever they like.

How would I spend the day off? I would definitely sleep in, then eat a big bowl of sugary cereal followed by whatever sweet pastry I had on hand. I’d probably spend at least part of the day shopping (either at the mall, a flea market, or antique stores), part of the day either at a bookstore or library, and then the rest outside taking pictures and just enjoying nature (and maybe curl up outside with a good book).

In the evening I’d probably attend a baseball game (and eat lots of junk food), maybe watch a little TV, and then go to bed.

I suppose you don’t have to be a kid to enjoy most of these pleasures, except for the junk food since you can’t get away with eating as much of it when you’re an adult. It also probably helps to be an adult in order to afford most of these things.

Sadly, for now I guess I’ll just have to settle for the weekends (after I get my chores done of course! : ( )

No comments: