Saturday, November 26, 2011

Recommended Reading for Black Friday

Unlike millions of other people, I didn't drop a bundle on Black Friday bargains yesterday. Since I've already finished all my Christmas shopping, there really wasn't anything I needed. Also, as I am in the middle of decluttering, it seems counterproductive to go out and bring back armfuls of stuff that I'll have to struggle to find a place for. That's not to say I didn't want to be out doing that, but I managed to resist the siren song of the mall and my other favorite stores. I'm proud that I had the will power, but it's always easier when my husband is home making it more difficult for me to sneak out (not that I'd ever do that : )

Hence, I thought it only appropriate that I recommend a few books to go along with the shopping season.

Confessions of a Shopaholic (and the entire Shopaholic series) by Sophie Kinsella

Like the rest of us, Bex likes a good bargain, but bargain or not, she definitely has expensive taste and little to no will power when it comes to resisting all that bling out there. Of course her spending habits catch up with her, and her roommate, Suze, helps her auction off some of her stash to help pay the bills. There's also another plot unrelated to the whole shopping debacle, which is really the whole point of reading the book. Some of the other book in the series focus a bit more on the shopping, but are still worth a read for the Sophie Kinsella fans out there.

Bringing Home the Birkin by Michael Tonello

For those with slightly less expensive taste, or who aren't in the know, a “Birkin” is “... a handmade purse by Hermès and named after actress and singer Jane Birkin. The bag is a symbol of wealth due to its high price and elusiveness to the public. Its prices range from $9,000 to $150,000. Costs escalate according to the type of materials. The bags are distributed to Hermès boutiques on unpredictable schedules and in limited quantities, creating scarcity and, intended or unintended, exclusivity.” *

* according to Wikipedia

Although I haven't read very far yet, the author takes the first few chapters to explain how he ended up moving to Barcelona (a beautiful city I was lucky enough to visit in 2002) and ended up lusting after the much coveted bag. I look forward to seeing how the story unfolds.

No comments: